Monday, October 12, 2009

Don't Prejudge A Chair By It's Fabric

BEFORE::
No matter what your style is, there's always a place for a great Wing Chair. To be honest, when I first saw the above plaid chair at my client's previous home, my initial thought was, "They don't want to take this chair with them when they move into their new home that I'm designing, do they?" Well it doesn't always happen that way and in this case the chair is a favorite of the grandfather's when he comes to visit the family.

AFTER::
So I set out to reinvent this chair as my personal challenge. My clients were moving from a more traditional home to a transitional custom home so selecting the "appropriate" fabric for the style of furniture became as important as the furniture itself. I asked my upholsterer to change the stain on the chair legs which helped freshen it up. Then I chose a wide-ribbed fabric in a linen tone to add a bit more interest than just a solid linen fabric perhaps would have. I also added a welt around the arm and the sides of the chair to highlight the shape. You can achieve this by using nailheads as well. A welt seemed more appropriate for this chair to keep a softness about it. Voila! It turned out to be one of my favorite chairs in the client's new home. Click on the image for a closer view.

Photograph Copyright 2009 Lauren Loef Interieurs

No comments:

Post a Comment