Friday, December 25, 2009

American Gourmet in St Barths

One of the best things about St Barths is the quality and variety of food and dining. While visiting there recently, I came across a market called American Gourmet. The name of the shop made me wonder for a minute if this was not a little out of place in St Barths where everything is French with a capital "F" if you know what I mean. As I got closer, I saw a list of chefs, the who's who in the cooking world, noting that their products were for sale inside. Now I was intrigued, this wasn't an island knock-off of William Sonoma. Quite the opposite, inside I found neatly lined up products that only the finest of foodies would know what to do with. It was Ahhhmazing! While walking through the aisles, I was imagining the gourmet meals that the chefs on the yachts parked right outside in the harbour were preparing in their kitchens at this moment. I mean, come on, really? This is truly what it means to live "the good life".

Photo of the owner of American Gourmet

I drifted around feeling like I was in a Nancy Meyers film eavesdropping on a conversation that the owner was having on his cel about how quickly he could have fresh Kobe Beef delivered to the yacht. I wandered over to the counter when he hung up the cel. I introduced myself and told him how much I enjoyed his market. He asked, "Do you know Diane Von Furstenburg"? I said of course. He proceeded to tell me that he was just speaking with her to prepare the menu for her family when they arrive next week (for Christmas). Before this, I could only imagine who his clientele was that demanded this level of novelty foods. Now, it was confirmed.



Me standing in front of the shop.


A wonderful selection of teas.


Fois Gras to feast your taste buds on. (click for a larger view)


An amazing assortment of chocolates from all over Europe.


Olive oils that are packaged in bottles that look like designer parfumes. As an interior designer, I was envisioning styling a recent kitchen I've designed for a photoshoot with these bottles lined up on the Carrera marble counters.



More olive oils and sea salts from every ocean.





Here's a preview of one of the stocked shelves.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Lauren!
    come and look at our new website!
    www.americangourmet.co

    ReplyDelete